This photo was sent us by Grace. This is what she wrote on her web site : Equal Parts – Done!
I’ve always thought that there are two kinds of knitters in the world. Process knitters love to knit, no matter what. All they need to hear is the clicking of the needles. It doesn’t matter if they’ve knitted the same pattern a dozen times before. They just love to knit. Project knitters like to see completed projects. They see a pattern, and the mind immediately goes to “Yes, I want THAT project!” They can’t be bothered to knit the same pattern again unless they truly want a duplicate (or near duplicate) product. I’ve known for a long time that I’m a product knitter. My love of stuffies and the way I feel when I finish their faces and see them come alive told me that. However, I’ve never been so sure of it as I am now. When I saw “Equal Parts”, all I could see was that it looked like the perfect project for the recipient. I didn’t bother to consider little things like how long it would take to complete the project, how enjoyable the knitting would be, or anything else for that matter. However, as the months dragged on, I started doing the mental work that I should have done before I started. Each square averages 66 stitches by 66 rows. That’s over 4000 stitches per square. Each square is bordered by 5 rows. Add another 1,300 stitches or so per square. There are twelve squares. Multiply 4300 times 12. That’s over 50,000 stitches. The twelve squares are bound together and then bordered by another 5 rows. Add on another few thousand stitches. Sigh. And to make it even happier, it’s almost all garter stitch. And mostly brown on brown. Although projects like this are not the most exciting, the big pay-off comes when the project is finished. As I cast off that last stitch and wove in the last tails, I was ready to dance around the room. Whoo hoo! It’s done! It’s done!
While the actual experience of knitting it wasn’t all that pleasant (and was, at some times, downright mind-numbing), I must admit that there’s no feeling like the one that comes after completing a project of this size! I spent three months knitting mostly this. (I took a short diversion for a couple stuffies. I NEEDED a finished project BAD!) But I got through it, and, while it’s not perfect, I’ve been assured by quite a few people that it’s gorgeous and that the recipient is going to be one lucky baby. I replied to Grace: You already know I love your blanket. I’m not sure whether this will make you feel better or worse about your achievement but you have actually knitted twice as many stitches as you think you have. The squares are 66 stitches by 66 ridges, which means 132 rows! Even though the figures are wrong, I just love your calculations. It’s part of what our teaching is all about.
The design is to be found on the walls of many UK schools as a poster, published by Tarquin Publications. The afghan came first. It shows fractions from 1 - 12. Each square has a different number of equal pieces.
Scroll down for more information about Equal Parts
The twelve squares are made in various ways. Some are in a single piece; others need to be stitched.
The pattern gives instructions for making the afghan in DK or Aran weight yarns. Other yarns can be used though the finished afghan, may be bigger, or smaller than the original.
Equal Parts on loan to South Tynedale Middle School for their mathematical knitting project. The pupils went on to produce their own afghan.
I also made the label by reverse printing the words onto t-shirt transfer paper and then ironing it onto a small piece of satin ribbon including some free artwork from the internet of knitting wool balls and numbers (as it was a maths theme).
This afghan was made by Rachel Clark. She said:
My daughter works at North Beckton Primary, which is a mainstream primary school in Newham, East London, with places for children with severe physical disabilities or complex medical conditions. I wanted to use bright colours, and also a washable yarn, as she uses it on her chair in the classroom and so I chose Sublime Soya Cotton DK and knitted it on quite small needles to keep the fabric quite tight, but as it is so large and heavy I realised that I would need to back it or it would lose it's shape quite quickly. I purchased some very bright multi-striped fleece for the backing and washed both the blanket and the fleece first in the washing machine, just in case of any shrinkage and then blocked the blanket. This was not the easiest thing to back with as fleece moves around just as much as knitting fabric does so it really had to be set by eye more than anything to make sure it looked right even if it wasn't perfect mathematically!!